[Distutils] [Python-Dev] Adventures with x64, VS7 and VS8 on Windows

Jamie Kirkpatrick jkp at kirkconsulting.co.uk
Tue May 22 21:16:19 CEST 2007

> I recommend that those people install the official binaries. Why do
> you
> need to build the binaries from source, if all you want is to build
> extensions?

I've been following this discussion and it seems like an appropriate
place to mention such a scenario which I have encountered myself and
am still trying to work around:

I have a set of extensions that use SWIG to wrap my own C++ library.
This library, on a day-to-day basis is built against VS8 since the
rest of our product suite is.  Right now I have no way to work with
this code using VS8 since the standard distribution is built against
VS7 which uses a different CRT.   This is an absolute nightmare in
practice since I currently have to maintain VS7 projects in parallel
with the standard VS8 ones simply so that I can run and test my
python code.

I've downloaded the Python source and had a look at building up my
own distributions for each case (ideally there would be an easy way
to separate out Release / Debug products as well as the VS8 / VS7
variants, and I guess potentially for those cross-compiling we'd need
to go a step further and do this per arch as well.  Anyway, this
isn't how it works at the moment, but I'm still searching for a way
to be able to work on the python code in VS8.  Building using the
current projects I seem to get everything in the PCBuild8 / PCBuild
dirs.  How can I work with what is build?

Is there a shell script to build a final distribution tree?  If not,
is there a simple way to build an MSI similar to the one found on the
Python.org site for the official releases but using the PCBuild8
stuff?  If not how do you recommend getting myself to a state where I
have at least a feature complete distribution build against VS8?  I'm
happy with a one time build that I can just install into my source
tree and upload to the SCM.

Thanks in advance, and I hope that my thoughts proved useful in some
way.

Jamie