[Distutils] [Python-Dev] Adventures with x64, VS7 and VS8 on Windows

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu May 24 01:12:40 CEST 2007

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> >> I use this patch in ActivePython to get distutils to find
> the correct
> >> PCbuild dir (see attached).
> >
> > Would you like to commit this to 2.6? (or perhaps 2.5 even?)
>
> Sure, if others think it is a good thing. Will do tomorrow
> unless I hear
> a -1 before then.

I'm not quite a '-1', but am a little confused about where this would leave
us.  To some extent, this would formalize PCBuild8 and VC6 directories.
External tools would then slowly start growing support for these additional
directories and the previous benefits of "PCBuild is the canonical location"
appear to vanish.  Further, I expect that such a patch would confuse any
attempts to manually copy from PCBuild8 into PCBuild, for example (ie, some
tools knowing about PCBuild8 while others assume PCBuild is likely to get
confusing.)

Trent: I assume you use the same source tree for multiple platforms and
compilers, meaning that changing these "optional" build processes to copy
from PCBuild8/VC6 into PCBuild would cause pain?  If not, do you think that
would be a reasonable solution?

Cheers,

Mark