[Distutils] I need to create a customized Fedora live cd with Python applications on it

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Tue May 29 20:10:47 CEST 2007

I found a report on bugzilla.redhat.com, "Bug 236535 Processed:
brp-python-bytecompile does not work with bdist-rpm target" and am cc:'ing
the cc: list for that bug on this email.

I posted a comment to that bug strongly urging the Fedora packaging people
and the Python packaging people to get their heads together and resolve
this issue.

For the benefit of the people on the Fedora bug cc: list, a posting to the
Python distutils list that describes my problem can be found at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2007-May/007639.html

My previous message with the attached entire output of bdist_rpm for
ZSI-2.0 and ZSI-2.0-rc3 was too large for posting to the list.  I've
provided the remainder of the message below, which raises yet another
issue involving coordination of dependency processing.

I hope that by putting the major players together by email you can resolve
the bdist_rpm issue soon.

Thanks.

Stan Klein

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 18:02 -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 05:23 PM 5/22/2007 -0400, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> >Prior to attempting the rpm build, I updated my version of setuptools
> >0.6c5 (package python-setuptools-0.6c5-1.fc5).
> Would you mind emailing me the *entire* output of the bdist_rpm
operation?  When I try this with 0.6c5 and the source of ZSI-2.0-rc3,  I
don't get the errors (although I do see the "files listed twice"
warnings).  Thanks.

I've attached below the entire output of the bdist_rpm operations for both
ZSI-2.0 and ZSI-2.0-rc3.  The same errors occurred for both cases.  Also,
I verified that I have the latest version in the FC5 repository of the
rpm-build package, in case the issue originates in that package.

My having to re-untar the rc3 reminded me of another problem I've had
running setup.py for this package.  ZSI has a dependency on PyXML
expressed as

additional_params['install_requires'] = [ "PyXML >= 0.8.3", ]

I have the proper version of PyXML installed on my systems, but via an
RPM.  Setuptools consistently fails to recognize that a proper version of
PyXML is there, and unless I comment out the dependency statement it tries
to find and download the latest version of PyXML from (apparently
incorrect) information in setup.py.  ZSI can find PyXML, but apparently
setup.py can't.

Stan Klein

[Attachment removed because it is too large for the email list.]