[Distutils] Windows installer, setuptools and distritools

henk-jan ebbers hjebbers at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:57:47 CEST 2007

I have 2 questions about using setuptools for a windows installer:

1.    I want to make a executable-windows-installer with setuptools
(bdist_wininst) .
    in setup.py I place a dependency:     install_requires =
["TurboGears >= 1.0.1",],
    installation is not zip-safe:        zip_safe=False,
    The target-machine (where I do the install) has easy_install already
installed.
    Am I right that when I install this executable-windows-installer the
dependency is not automatically installed?
    Or is there a way to do this with setuptools that I have overlooked?

2.    in distritools it is possible to use a postinstallation script
(*--install-script *option).
    (which I want to use shortcuts in menu's).
    This is not possible in setuptools?

( I just am not sure about this when reading the documentation.
Eggs & setuptols are great; most user are used to windows installers,
shortcuts in the  menu etc.)

best regards, Henk-Jan