[Distutils] Windows installer, setuptools and distritools

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed May 30 18:22:02 CEST 2007

At 06:03 PM 5/30/2007 +0200, henk-jan ebbers wrote:
>So:
>either a user uses the executable-windows-installer (with
>postinstallation script, but dependencies are not resolved),
>or a user uses easy_install <egg> (without postinstallation script,
>but dependencies are resolved)
>
>Is it possible to place something like 'easy_install <dependecies>'
>in the postinstallation script?

Sure, although of course those dependencies won't have *their*
post-install scripts run.

If you do this, you probably want to have the postinstall script
register the files installed.  easy_install's --record option lets
you write the installed files and directories to a text file, so you
could read that and record the results.  That way, if the .exe is
uninstalled, the other files will go along.

The downside to this is that uninstalling the .exe will uninstall
dependencies that might actually be depended on by other packages
that are installed later -- IOW, a total mess.

So, I'm not sure it's a good idea.  No, scratch that, I'm pretty sure
it's NOT a good idea.

It might be better to use bdist_msi instead, if that has a way of
handling dependencies.  (I'm not sure if it does.)