[Distutils] Third-party packages inside a project

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 14 15:00:47 CET 2007

At 02:37 PM 11/14/2007 +0100, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
>On 11/14/2007 1:19 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>>>I was wondering if someone could suggest a fix, especially for #1: I
>>>can't believe there's no way to ask distutils/setuptools to install a
>>>project-specific package (I am aware of the chapter "Custom Installation
>>>Locations" in EasyInstall docs, but that's more about installing
>>>packages at user-level instead of system-level; it doesn't cover the
>>>project-level which I need).
>>setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed --record=somefile ...
>>The above incantation (along with whatever other options you want)
>>will let you install setuptools-based packages "the old fashioned
>>way".  You will be responsible for installing the packages'
>>dependencies in the same way, however.  You'll also be responsible
>>for any uninstallation prior to upgrading versions of those packages.
>
>That's fine since it's exactly how it was working before. I'm happy
>there is a "backward-compatibility" option, but it's a pity there's
>no way to fix it in a way that still allows to fully use setuptools.

Well, there is such a thing, I just assumed you didn't want it.  The
-m option to easy_install can install packages without a .pth file,
but then to use them, your package must also be using setuptools and
declare its dependencies, or explicitly use require() to add the
packages to sys.path at runtime.