[Distutils] easy_install prefering filename over #egg

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Nov 19 19:18:36 CET 2007

Ian Bicking wrote:
> We've been building some custom eggs for the lxml trunk and we uploaded
> the packages to our wiki, which replaced the .'s with -'s.  This messed
> up the filenames, so we added #egg in an effort to correct that:
>
> http://www.openplans.org/projects/opencore/dependencies/lxml-2-0alpha5-py2-4-linux-x86_64.egg#egg=lxml-2.0alpha5-py2.4-linux-x86_64
>
> But it seems that easy_install prefers the base name, not the fragment,
> and so it parsed this as an lxml 2 egg, with 0alpha5blahblahblah as the
> platform(?)... I'm not sure exactly how it parsed it, but it got it wrong.
>
> It seems like easy_install should prefer fragments over the filename
> itself, as the fragments will only be there if someone deliberately adds
> them.

Actually, it just occurred to me that there's a link on the page with
the #egg, and one without, and probably easy_install was just looking at
the link without the fragment.  So maybe our plan to use #egg to correct
the link just wasn't going to work with the site.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org