[Distutils] setuptools development cycle

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Oct 3 16:26:40 CEST 2007

I'm a little bit worried about setuptools development cycle.  We seem
to be stalled at a 0.6 pre-release that is quite stable and widely
used in production.  The next feature release, 0.7, seems to
anticipate a major refactoring and major new features.  I'm a bit
worried about this both from a fear of potential disruption, and a
need for incremental feature development.

I propose that the grand re-factoring of setuptools planned for 0.7
be moved off the trunk and to a 2.x release.  0.6 should be marked
final.  Is it on the table to remove features from setuptools?  If
not, then I think it should setuptools should get a 1.0 release.  (I
do still think that setuptools, while wonderful, is too complex, so
I'd love to see it simplified.)  I'd then like to see incremental
feature development in the 1.x line.

I'd be interested in hearing Phillip's vision for setuptools' future.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation