[Distutils] setuptools development cycle

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Oct 6 00:19:17 CEST 2007

At 03:48 PM 10/5/2007 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > At 05:31 PM 10/4/2007 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> >> At this point, would we be better off moving aside the current trunk,
> >> and making a new trunk from the 0.6 branch after getting 0.6 finally
> >> released?
> >
> > No way am I going to do the 2.5 work over again, so at least this
> > particular portion of "we" would not be better off.  :)
>
>I was really trying to get an enumeration of the stuff done on that
>branch which was not already backported.  For instance, there are a half
>dozen or so 0.6 branch checkins which talk about backporting 2.5
>compatibility fixes:  are there others not ported?

The 2.5 work I'm referring to was about consolidation, code sharing
with the stdlib, and re-organization more than it was about
compatibility fixes (which of course were backported).

>The real source of my worry is that anything which is on the trunk but
>*not* on the 0.6 branch is potentially bitrotting, as nobody (AFAIK) is
>actually using the trunk at this point.

I use it almost exclusively, and that's where all the development is
done -- which is why 99% of the changes appear on the trunk first,
then get ported to 0.6.  I also know there are a few people who work
off the trunk, although of course it's not nearly as widespread.

>I can't figure out from checkin comments (and a few diffs) exactly how
>much of this stuff is "feature removal" (which your earlier message said
>had been mostly done already),

There may be some things I've forgotten to remove as yet, but
anything that the docs (or code) issues warnings about changing, is
either already changed in the trunk, or should be.