[Distutils] bdist_wininst TypeError

Mike kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 00:01:14 CEST 2007

On 10/7/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 11:55 AM 10/7/2007 -0500, Mike wrote:
> >On 10/7/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > > Try this:
> > >
> > > python -c "import distutils; print distutils.__version__,
> > distutils.__file__"
> > >
> > > This should print a version and a filename.  The filename should be
> > > something like 'c:\Python24\Lib\distutils\...' (*without*
> > > site-packages between the Lib and distutils), and the version should
> > > be 1.0.3 or higher.
> > >
> > > If the location is different, you haven't uninstalled it
> > > correctly.  If the location is correct but the version is less than
> > > 1.0.3, you installed the distutils over the version that came with
> > > Python, and will have to reinstall Python to fix it.
> > >

> >Here is what was returned:
> >
> >2.4.1 L:\Python24\lib\distutils\__init__.py
>
> Then this version of Python should have a usable version of the distutils.
>
> >I did notice that if I try running Python from the command line, it
> >loads the ActiveState version of Python 2.4.3 rather than the "normal"
> >2.4.3 version. I don't suppose that could be the problem,  could it?
>
> Since I don't know what pythons you've been running for what, I have no idea.

Ok. I uninstalled everything related to Python including my ctypes and
wxPython installations. I reinstalled Python 2.4.3 and setuptools
0.6c7. It still gives me the TypeError as before.

Also, now it won't recognize "python" as a command name. While I can
start python's command line terminal by going to Start, Run, and
typing "python", if I open a command window and type the following:

python setup.py bdist_wininst

I get

'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Unless I actually type out the path to the python executable. Maybe
there's something wrong with the PyCrypto module itself. I don't know.
I guess I'll post this to the c.l.py group too.

Sorry to bother you. Thanks for your help.

Mike