[Distutils] Disabling --single-version-externally-managed

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Sep 3 00:50:10 CEST 2007

At 01:12 PM 9/2/2007 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>What is the real way to allow people to do quick and dirty scripting and
>experimentation from the interpreter shell in this environment?

Either:

1. Select the desired default version using "easy_install package==version", or
2. Have *no* default version, and always use require() (or
automatically-managed dependencies declared via a setup.py script).

>And once again, we are *not* creating and packaging scripts that use
>__require__.  We are packaging multiple versions of modules with a
>default.

And once again, this won't work.  Either you must not have a default
version, or you must deal with the potential conflict in your scripts.

The supported way of doing that is to generate the scripts using
easy_install.  If you are packaging something that doesn't use
setuptools explicitly, you'll just have to patch it to declare its
dependencies.  You're already patching the .spec file; heck, if it
would make it more palatable, perhaps we could add a way to specify
the requirements via the command line.  (Alternately, you could just
create a requires.txt in the .egg-info directory.)

>   We need to have instructions for end-users who want to do
>quick and dirty scripting or experiment in the interpreter shell how to
>select the version that they wish.

easy_install package==version will change the default version, and
require() will work if there is no default version.  Those are the
supported ways of doing this.

>Once again, *we are not creating any system level python scripts that
>make use of a specific, non-default version*.

I'm saying that even your programs that use the default version,
should explicitly specify what version they use.  If you're going to
support multiple versions, then declare *all* the dependencies, or at
least the ones that would otherwise have conflicts.

>B) For projects
>that have not been ported to a new version of the module.  We have no
>control over how those upstream scripts are written -- whether they use
>easy_install, hand code __requires__, or munge sys.path themselves.

The correct instructions are for them to use setuptools and declare
their dependencies, or live with whatever the status quo is.

>This is true.  But it's not going to change until all upstreams have
>moved to using setuptools.  We provide a set of packages that work
>together.  And we provide a means for the user to shoot themselves in
>the foot.  But this is nothing new, they've had access to PYTHONPATH,
>su, rm -rf, etc in the past.
>
>What we can do is make as much of what they expect to work work as it
>used to.  And where it differs, we offer a standard, logical, and simple
>method to get the behaviour they want.

Right - and the single simplest solution for all of this is to simply
use setuptools as it was designed: select a default version using
easy_install, and declare dependencies for everything
else.  Alternatively, don't install *anything* as the default
version, and declare *all* dependencies.

If your goal is to have simple and consistent behavior, the second is
the best choice.  If you want the greatest backward-compatibility,
the first is the best choice.

Note that it isn't really possible for users *now* to choose a
different package version at runtime, so requiring the use of
easy_install to switch default versions doesn't seem like a big
deal.  They already have to make this choice by what RPMs they
install, and it's just as global a choice -- except that this way,
they can do it without breaking anything.

>If you feel that __requires__ is a private method that shouldn't be used
>then we'd respect that.  But between that and your teelling us that
>pkg_resources.require() isn't meant to work like that, it means that
>there's simply no method for making setuptools do what we need it to and
>we'll have to find some other method to accomplish this.

There are *two* ways to accomplish it: have a default (and use
easy_install to change it when desired), or don't have a default.

Either way, you are going to ultimately end up at a place where
everything needs to declare its dependencies, preferably in a
setup.py.  Having a default version may be useful for the transition
period, but the best way to encourage people to actually transition
is to have some *benefit* for declaring their dependencies -- like
being able to use the non-default versions.

This is why I even discourage direct use of require(), as it says in the docs:

"""In general, it should not be necessary for you to call this method
directly. It's intended more for use in quick-and-dirty scripting and
interactive interpreter hacking than for production use. If you're
creating an actual library or application, it's strongly recommended
that you create a "setup.py" script using setuptools, and declare all
your requirements there. That way, tools like EasyInstall can
automatically detect what requirements your package has, and deal
with them accordingly."""