[Distutils] setuptools special case Pyrex and break Cython

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Sep 4 08:09:14 CEST 2007

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 06:51 PM 9/3/2007 +0200, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> I still prefer the "only fiddle with extensions if build_ext wasn't
>> replaced"
>> way, though.
>
> If build_ext wasn't replaced where and how?  Do you mean in the
> "cmdclass" argument to setup()?

Exactly. As I said, that would also be only a heuristic, but it would still be
better than the current 'feature' enforcement code which basically states: "if
Pyrex isn't installed, you can't possibly have meant what you were requesting,
so I'll fix your code for you". Problem being that the code isn't broken and
the 'fix' breaks it.

Stefan