[Distutils] patch: ez_setup.py: separate default version and minimum version of setuptools

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Sep 27 19:58:32 CEST 2007

At 11:33 PM 9/14/2007 -0700, zooko wrote:
>Folks:
>
>Thank you for setuptools!  We are using it in the Allmydata-Tahoe
>project [1].  We've patched ez_setup.py so that installation can
>proceed if an older version of setuptools is already present, as long
>as that version is not too old.  This allows ez_setup.py to work
>seamlessly in more situations.  Please apply.
>
>The patch is in-lined and attached.

It's not clear to me why the patch is necessary.  If you reference a
specific version of setuptools in your call to ez_setup(), the
behavior is almost identical.  The only difference is that if there
is no setuptools installed, then the version you specified in your
setup.py will be used for the installation.