[Distutils] patches: ez_setup.py: don't import setuptools into your current address space in order to learn its version number

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Sep 27 21:29:13 CEST 2007

> In other words, we could maybe fix this for "setup.py install", but
> not for easy_install.  I'm not sure how useful that is, though,
> since if you have setuptools installed, why download "foo", unpack
> it, and "setup.py install", when you can just "easy_install foo" in
> one go?

Oh, perhaps this also explains why you didn't understand the use case
for the previous patch.  I love easy_install, in some cases we and
our users need to execute "setup.py install" instead.  There are a
few different reasons for this that I would be happy to go over with
you, but hopefully as far as patching ez_setup.py, if I can write
patches which improve this use case without harming other use cases,
you will accept that some people prefer to execute "./setup.py
install" and not "easy_install"?

Here is the current README for our decentralized file storage project:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/README

Here is my personal notes on how I like to use setuptools-packaged
software under GNU stow:

https://zooko.com/log-2007.html#d2007-06-02

Regards,

Zooko