[Distutils] Setting up a setuptools community

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Wed Apr 2 21:11:28 CEST 2008

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 11:40 PM 4/1/2008 -0500, Dave Peterson wrote:
>> I've previously volunteered Enthought to do about the same thing (except
>> to include svn with the Trac instance) but there wasn't much response
>> beyond Jeff Rush saying he was already setting one up, and the response
>> by Phillip to use the python dev bug-tracker and svn instead.
>
>> Phillip, I think everyone is waiting for you to provide direction so can
>> you make some decisions about how setuptools evolves to a larger
>> community effort?
>
> As I believe you just pointed out, I already did that.  :)

Egggcellent.

Doing a search for 'setuptools' in the issue tracker only returns two
open issues currently.  I'm guessing I'm not catching all the issues as
a result.    It would probably help if we had a clear component to use
(i.e. Setuptools).   Anyone have any idea who to contact to get that
done?  I've so far had no luck reading the info on www.python.org/dev
looking for this sort of thing.

Phillip, I don't believe you responded to either my, nor Jeff Rush's,
volunteering for being patch reviewers.  At least I haven't seen any
response -- perhaps that's you trying to tell me something? :-)   What's
the process you want to follow on this?   Ideally things should be
opened up where more people are 'blessed' to commit directly, but I'm
not sure how you want to do the 'bless'ing part.

Finally, what is the build and test process you've been following?  Is
there a buildbot that's building and publishing results somewhere or
does that also need to be set up?

-- Dave