[Distutils] Easy_install fails, package somehow depends on itself and won't resolve

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Apr 4 17:40:47 CEST 2008

At 02:52 PM 4/3/2008 -0400, Deron Meranda wrote:
>The only thing I can think is that the system I'm installing on has a
>slightly different
>OS version.  But it should be (and is) binary compatible.

Setuptools currently uses exact matching on OS strings, so that's
almost certainly the problem.  If you want to contribute code to do
platform matching, check out the pkg_resources docs under "Platform
Utilities" and then look at the code for the existing Mac OS version
compatibility checking.  Be sure to include tests in your patch, and
the tests (as well as the version comparison code itself) must be
able to run on all platforms.

Feel free to ask on the list if you run into any problems/questions.