[Distutils] Setting up a setuptools community

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sat Apr 5 04:31:08 CEST 2008

>>  Martin v. Löwis has been in the process since PyCon of doing so,
>> but is busy and apparently the Roundup software used is tricky to
>> configure for this and,f for the email address, requires ISP
>> intervention. The plan when this is done is to have a tracker at
>> http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/ with an email address for
>> submission/commenting of setuptools at bugs.python.org. Sorry for the
>> delay - I didn't realize this would be such a big deal to get
>> started. We could also start using Launchpad instantly, but I
>> figured reaching concensus to do so, with Phillip and others more
>> familiar with the Python tracker, would be difficult.
>
> While I'm glad to hear there has been progress, I'm concerned we
> risk losing momentum by waiting.
>
> Can we at least start by using their wiki to capture some thoughts
> on priorities and roadmap?  Or does that need to be separate too?
> Or does Phillip already have that somewhere I haven't seen?

Just to give us all a kick in the pants, I set up a trac instance and
imported setuptools revision control history into it:

http://allmydata.org/trac/setuptools

It took me only a few minutes -- I'm getting familiar with the
process of setting up trac instances for open source projects.

Hm, the timeline for the last 90 days:

http://allmydata.org/trac/setuptools/timeline?
from=2008-04-04&daysback=90&ticket=on&changeset=on&milestone=on&update=U
pdate

The issue tracker is currently empty:

http://allmydata.org/trac/setuptools/report/1

You can register and start scribbling on the wiki if you like --
anything you write there can be copied over to a new site once it is
operational.

The "buildbot" link yields a 404 Not Found -- I haven't set up a
buildbot yet.

Whether or not we use trac, and whether or not we use hosting
provided by Allmydata, Inc., on http://allmydata.org , we should
definitely set up a buildbot.

Regards,

Zooko