[Distutils] Remove "current" Windows executables from Lib/distutils/command in svn?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sun Apr 6 04:34:54 CEST 2008

As I was preparing to check-in my cross-compilation patch, which includes a
new x64 executable in the Lib/distutils/command directory, it occurs to me
that we don't actually need it in subversion - and nor do we need
wininst-9.0.exe.

I believe these executables are in svn for historical reasons.  The build
process for these executables are now integrated into the core Python build
process (although they are disabled by default).  There is a good use-case
for keeping executables built with older MSVC versions, but I don't see one
for executables built with the current version.

I'd like to propose we delete Lib/Distutils/command/wininst-9.0.exe, and
enable the building of that project by default in the standard build process
(and I'll setup the x64 build of the executable similarly).  They will then
need to be re-added when a future version moves away from Visual Studio
2008, but that seems like a reasonable way to approach things.  Are there
any objections to this, or should we stick with the status-quo and I'll add
the new x64 executable?  Or do things that way *just* for x64?

Thanks,

Mark.