[Distutils] how to easily consume just the parts of eggs that are good for you

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Thu Apr 10 01:20:15 CEST 2008

Paul Moore wrote:
> On 09/04/2008, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>
>> "Stanley A. Klein" <sklein at cpcug.org> writes:
>>  > A reasonable way to deal with Windows would be to create a package
>>  > manager for it that could be used by Python and anyone else who
>>
>>> wanted to use it. [...] This is primarily a Windows problem, not a
>>>
>>  > Python problem.
>>
>>  I'd rephrase this as: If you *must* re-invent package management for
>>  those legacy systems without it, please *don't* make it specific to
>>  Python.
>>

> And I would say that Windows doesn't have a problem. Are any Windows
> users proposing building a package management system for Windows
> (Python-specific or otherwise)? It's a genuine question - is this
> something that Windows users are after, or is it just Linux users
> trying to show Windows users what they are missing?

Depending on definition of package management system (which was recently
debated here on the list,) I'd say the combination of setuptools,
easy_install, and yolk make up a reasonable attempt at a system for
Python projects (I prefer to use the term projects rather than avoid
confusion between a distribution package and a python package.)  Yes,
they don't integrate with add/remove programs, but you can easily
install a project by name and have it depend on other projects, list the
installed projects, and there is a documented process to uninstall them
as well.

-- Dave