[Distutils] Proposal: egg -> bdist_wininst converter

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 10:10:39 CEST 2008

For me, on Windows, the biggest negative aspect of eggs is when people
provide binary installations (ones with compiled C extensions) in eggs
only. I prefer bdist_wininst/bdist_msi installers, and with compiled
code, I can't always build from source (complex library dependencies,
etc).

So, given that an egg already has everything that is needed at
runtime, how easy would it be to create a tool which converted an egg
into a bdist_wininst installer? With that, I could happily forget
about eggs.

Paul.

PS I am assuming that "eggs are only a packaging format" - and that
all of the setuptools goodies like namespace support, entry points
etc, that some projects benefit from, would still work whether the
package was an egg or a conventionally-installed bdist_wininst...