[Distutils] shebang line modified by setuptools

Stephen Waterbury waterbug at pangalactic.us
Sun Apr 13 03:41:08 CEST 2008

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 03:26:52PM -0700, Cliff Wells wrote:
>>> Anyway, regardless of who's correct concerning this issue (we can
>>> agree
>>> to disagree), I'm cannot understand why you'd want Python to behave
>>> differently (from a deployment standpoint) than other languages.
>> Numbers ! Only numbers can speak. On my Ubuntu box (standard, nothing
>> special done to it):
>>
>> varoquau at epsilon:~$ grep '#!/usr/bin/env python' /usr/bin/* 2>/dev/
>> null wc -l
>> 33
>>
>> And if we don't look at the language type:
>>
>> varoquau at epsilon:~$ grep '#!/usr/bin/env' /usr/bin/* 2>/dev/null |
>> wc -l
>> 39
>
> These are all broken and you should report bugs on them.  I have
> reported many for Ubuntu.  A system application should only ever
> depend on the system Python (or interpreter), never on the whims of
> your $PATH.

I agree with Barry here -- I would even go further and say that
the Python used by system apps (i.e., apps that the OS depends on)
should be separate and should not be on the default PATH (so the user
can't use it accidentally), and no non-system apps should use the
system Python unless specifically installed by the user or sysadmin
into the system Python's area.

I used to always set up my own Python[s] in /usr/local
and put that first in my PATH, but I have gotten lazy lately, and
sometimes it will bite me. ;)

Steve