[Distutils] shebang line modified by setuptools

Stephen Waterbury waterbug at pangalactic.us
Sun Apr 13 17:16:57 CEST 2008

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2008, at 9:41 PM, Stephen Waterbury wrote:
>>
>> I used to always set up my own Python[s] in /usr/local
>> and put that first in my PATH, but I have gotten lazy lately, and
>> sometimes it will bite me. ;)
>
> On Debian and derivatives (e.g. Ubuntu) you might have even more fun.
> They put /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages on the sys.path *of the
> system python*!  This means that you can break your system Python by
> installing a version of Python from source and then distutil'ing things
> into there.  Astoundingly, this is promoted as a feature.

That *is* astounding.  I've been using Ubuntu for several years now,
and I blush to admit I never noticed that until just the other day when
I tried installing Python 2.6 from source (into the default /usr/local
location, of course) and it broke all my running web stuff, so I hastily
removed it -- sheesh!

As I mentioned, I've been "lazy" about using the system Python for my
own apps and development, but I would feel much more comfortable if
the system Python had its own space.

> I've reported bugs on this and had discussions with some of the Debian
> Python packaging folks.  I'm hoping that we'll find a solution that
> doesn't collide with a from-source default Python build.

Thanks for fighting the good fight, Barry -- hang in there!
Maybe you can push for my "radical" solution.  :)

Steve