[Distutils] shebang line modified by setuptools

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Apr 13 20:04:56 CEST 2008

At 05:29 PM 4/13/2008 +0200, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
>Of course setuptools will
>break this, because it adds itsef to front of the PYTHONPATH, and totally
>break the PYTHONPATH semantics (Grrr).

The entire point of PYTHONPATH is to be able to put things at the
front of it, so I don't see how that's breaking anything.

When you ask easy_install to install something as the default
importable version of that package, the only way to ensure that is by
placing that thing at the front of sys.path, to override any other
version of it that might be installed elsewhere on sys.path.

Well, the only way short of going through all of sys.path and
deleting anything that might potentially be in the way.  That
approach was tried in I think the 0.4 line of setuptools, however,
and it wasn't very popular.  :)