[Distutils] zip_safe=False not being respected? [it gets worse]

Alexander Michael lxander.m at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 14:34:34 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>  > Chris Withers wrote:
>  >> ...however, this is leaving me with an easy-install.pth and a .egg file
>  >> in $INSTANCE_HOME,
>
>  Okay, so the .egg is actually a directory and not a file.
>  ...and in there is lurking the package I'm trying install.
>
>  Why all this convolution? Why not install the package where I actually
>  asked it to go?

By default, setuptools enabled setup.py's install eggs (either zipped
or unzipped) so that you can multiple version installed (but only one
active, of course). If you want to install just a single version as a
standard python package directory, then use the
--single-version-externally-managed option as described in the
documentation:

<http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#install-run-easy-install-or-old-style-installation>.