[Distutils] setuptools on 64 bit Windows broken?

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Mon Apr 21 22:18:19 CEST 2008

[Apologies if this was discussed in the past, I did some searching but
couldn't find much, but then again my attention is spread a little too thing
lately.]

Right now setuptools on Windows x64 with 64-bits Python 2.5 is (partially)
broken.

The error shown is:

Cannot find Python executable C:\Python25\python.exe

when running easy_install. The phrase comes from launcher.c which is
compiled via MingW to cli.exe and gui.exe. Both of these are present in the
setuptools repository and are 32-bits only for all I can determine (using
file). I have not thoroughly checked it yet (due to being written in Unix-C,
even though it's aimed at Windows), but my guess is it's using some API
calls which fail on 64-bits Windows. I see there's a mingw-64 toolkit on the
'net nowadays. Has anyone tried this yet? Is it indeed an API issue?

Furthermore, when creating an egg on Windows x64, it will create it with an
identifier of win32, even though C code in a project is compiled with an
AMD64 version of the compiler. For all I know 32-bits Windows systems will
also pull down this version of the egg when given the chance.
I guess this is due to Python 2.5 64 bit reporting win32 for sys.platform?
So don't we miss something to properly distinguish between 64 bits Windows
and 32 bits? Especially with x64 and Vista 64 on the market nowadays?

Thanks for any pointers/clues...

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth
and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods.