[Distutils] [ANN] stdeb 0.2

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sat Apr 26 22:02:46 CEST 2008

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:49:34 -0700, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com>
> wrote:
>> I would like to announce the release of stdeb 0.2.
> Cool.  I gave this a try on Twisted.  Here's what I found:
Thanks for testing and, better, reporting your feedback.
>  * dpkg-buildpackage failed on the result when I ran sdist_dsc from a
>    "development" version of Twisted - ie, one with a version string
>    like "8.0.1+r23437".  This seemed to be caused by directories in the
>    source package being named inconsistently, resulting in commands
>    failing with "no such directory" errors.
OK, I added a couple of packages with such version numbers to the test
suite and fixed a few bugs that cropped up. I've just released 0.2.1
which includes these fixes.
> Indeed, there is a file in Twisted which is not valid Python 2.4 syntax.
> It is only used by the test suite when running on Python 2.5.  Is there
> some way to have this excluded or compensated for?
Yes, this can be handled with the XS-Python-Version: config option. (See
the section "Customizing the produced Debian source package (config
options)" on the web page.)
Specifically, you want "XS-Python-Version: >= 2.5".

>  * Perhaps because of the previous error, the installed package doesn't
>    look quite right.  With Python 2.4, the `twisted´ package is
> importable
>    but with Python 2.5 it can't be found.  Compared to the twisted dir
>    in the Python 2.4 site-packages directory, the twisted dir in the
> Python
>    2.5 site-packages directory is very sparsely populated, with many
> files
>    and directories missing.
Let me know if this still persists. Most of the files get installed to
/usr/share/pycentral, and then a post-install script creates symlinks to
the /usr/lib/python2.x directories. (This is standard python-central
behavior.)