[Distutils] setuptools tracker "needpatch" keyword, tests, etc.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Aug 8 18:57:27 CEST 2008

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 10:32 AM 8/8/2008 -0500, Chris Galvan wrote:
>> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>> Hello all.  I had some spare time the other day and went through the
>>> tracker, reclassifying a few things and marking some with a
>>> "needpatch" keyword.  The ones marked "needpatch" vary from things I
>>> have no idea what to do with, to ones where I've practically spelled
>>> out the needed patch in the tracker.
>>>
>>> Issues with patches that passed my initial review have been marked
>>> "in-progress"; these could use some testing before check-in.  At this
>>> point, I haven't had an opportunity to review the results of the test
>>> sprint that was done; if somebody could throw that up as a patch on
>>> the tracker, or at least repost a link to where I can find that
>>> stuff, that would help.
>> The work done on the test sprint is hosted in this bzr branch.  We
>> wanted to get your feedback on what had been done so far to make sure
>> we were heading in the right direction.
>>
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~setuptools/setuptools-test/main
>
> My initial reaction is that it's off to a good start, but the tests
> themselves seem rather shallow; more like "smoke tests" (i.e., turn it
> on and see if smoke comes out) than functional tests.
>
> I'm thinking it might help to use the setuptools.sandbox facility to log
> files created, deleted, modified, etc. by the process.  That would
> probably be a better test of what has/hasn't been done than using
> ellipses on the logs, which is order-dependent as well as having the
> ability to skip lines where the wrong thing is being done, etc.  The way
> things are being done now, they probably won't be able to test some of
> the things that are most likely to break (i.e., the complexities of
> easy_install).
>
> (Probably in order to do that I'll need to add a new sandboxing class
> that creates a "mock" filesystem and allows before/after expectations to
> be set.)

You could also use ScriptTest: http://pythonpaste.org/scripttest/ -- it
doesn't make any attempt to mock anything out, but it does keep track of
what a command does.  For testing PoachEggs
(https://svn.openplans.org/svn/PoachEggs/trunk/poacheggs-tests) I'm
creating a scratch virtualenv for the test, then running things inside
there.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org