[Distutils] How to create deb package

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Aug 11 04:39:30 CEST 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 3:46 AM, Lumír Jasiok wrote:

> I need to create .deb package from source package. I am using
> distutils.
>
> Is there some working bdist_deb extension? What is best practices
> at this case?

Please try stdeb [1] and let us know how it works for you.  It works
for me for a few small Python projects (including zfec [2],
pycryptopp [3], and pyutil [4]).

However, it is still a young tool and you should be willing to report
bugs if you try it.

By the way, I've contributed a patch for stdeb which is not yet in
the current release of stdeb which makes it automatically detect
which debian packages your package depends on, using the
"install_requires" field from the setup() args: [5].

Thank you for your help in improving Python packaging tools!

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://stdeb.python-hosting.com
[2] http://allmydata.org/trac/zfec/