[Distutils] My first egg

Chris Galvan cgalvan at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 12 16:14:44 CEST 2008

Hi Uwe,

Do you mean console scripts or just example files?  If you set the
'include_package_data' argument to True, all of the data files that are
under version control will be included in your egg.  If you want to have
more control over what goes in your egg and where they get put, you can
use the 'data_files' argument, which is a list of tuples.  The first
item in the tuple is the relative path inside the egg where you want
your data to be placed.  The second item is a string, or a list of
strings, which are paths relative to the root of your source tree for
the files that you want to be placed in the destination you specified in
the first item of the tuple.  Here is a simple example:

If your source tree looks like this:

setup.py
README.txt
examples/
    example1.py
    data1.dat
mypkg/
    __init__.py
    mypkg.py

And your 'data_files' argument was this:

data_files = [('', 'README.txt'),
              ('mypkg/examples', 'examples/*.*')]

Your egg structure should look like this:

mypkg-1.0.0-py2.5.egg/
    mypkg/
        examples/
            example1.py
            data1.dat
        __init__.py
        mypkg.py
    README.txt

You can also use a glob for the second item in the tuple.

-- Chris Galvan