[Distutils] setuptools tracker "needpatch" keyword, tests, etc.

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 17:04:40 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>wrote:

>> https://code.launchpad.net/~setuptools/setuptools-test/main<https://code.launchpad.net/%7Esetuptools/setuptools-test/main>
>>

> My initial reaction is that it's off to a good start, but the tests
> themselves seem rather shallow; more like "smoke tests" (i.e., turn it on
> and see if smoke comes out) than functional tests.

Right, they are not detailed at all at this point

> I'm thinking it might help to use the setuptools.sandbox facility to log
> files created, deleted, modified, etc. by the process.  That would probably
> be a better test of what has/hasn't been done than using ellipses on the
> logs, which is order-dependent as well as having the ability to skip lines
> where the wrong thing is being done, etc.  The way things are being done
> now, they probably won't be able to test some of the things that are most
> likely to break (i.e., the complexities of easy_install).
>
> (Probably in order to do that I'll need to add a new sandboxing class that
> creates a "mock" filesystem and allows before/after expectations to be set.)

Here's a proposal that could be done in a new 'test' sprint I guess :

- add something in the sandbox to record what is being done underneath
(using for example what Ian has suggested - ScriptTest)
- change our doctests so they actually use the recorded info : files
created, removed, modified + return code maybe (but not the stdout which
vary too much from one system to another)

At least Chris Galvan and I are interested in helping in this.

Tarek