[Distutils] [buildout] looking for review of docs on find-links

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Aug 13 23:40:52 CEST 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> I'm not 100% on the order of searching of locations specified in
>>> find-links and whether or not pypi is still searched.
>> For buildout, the index is always searched, because it always wants
>> to find the newest.
>
> Okay, so the index is set to PyPI's simple index by default, right?

Yes

> I'm guessing find-links adds locations to search that are checked
> before the index is specified, correct?

As I mentioned in my previous message, I don't know the order and I
don't think it matters. AFAICT, the order isn't specified by
setuptools and, therefore, might change in the future.

>> (This could probably be optimized in certain situations.) I'm not
>> sure about the order, but it doesnt' really matter.
>
> Indeed. The docs I've written suggest that there is an order

They should not

> and after a package has been found searching stops.

I missed that. It doesn't.

> On IRC today, Philipp suggested that all options specified in find-
> links were checked for all packages and the latest version found was
> used.

The latest version that satisfies the requirement.  In fact, nothing
is searched if the latest version satisfying the requirement is
already installed.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton