[Distutils] the svn >= 1.5 bug with setuptools/command/sdist.py: global name 'log' is not defined

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 17:17:24 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>wrote:

> At 03:09 PM 8/19/2008 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>> So, setuptools should use a random, unique, temporary name in this
>> function imho
>> to make buildout happy with any kind of dev package.
> Um, no.  easy_install does *each* download to a unique temporary directory.
>  If buildout is doing something else, it's buildout that's broken.
Oups right, I thought easy_install worked with the same temp folder in the
same run but it is zc.buildout,

I just found the place where it is not behaving correctly, it does a

>>> index.download('

where FOLDER may have a "setuptools" directory already

Jim do you still dislike the idea of making zc.buildout compatible with
packages downloaded with egg fragments ?

Because even if no one uses such urls in the find-links option, it will be
forced if you try to use "setuptools==dev" in the buildout,
which would be simpler that to use a 'develop' option in that case.

I think the solution is to check for this in Installer._fetch(self, dist,
tmp, download_cache) in zc.buildout/easy_install.py
and do a special treatement when such urls are provided.

Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org
Blog EN | http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/