[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] High-availability for PyPI, mirroring infrastructures?

Tarek Ziade tarek.ziade at ingeniweb.com
Thu Aug 21 14:59:58 CEST 2008

2008/8/20 Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>

> At 07:22 PM 8/13/2008 +0200, Tarek Ziade wrote:
>
>> 2008/8/12 Phillip J. Eby <<mailto:pje at telecommunity.com>
>> pje at telecommunity.com>
>> What you really want/need is to make the PackageIndex support retrieval
>> from multiple index urls; the PackageIndex itself aggregates available
>> packages from sources such as the local file system, -f urls, and an
>> underlying package index.  So having multiple aggregators would duplicate
>> processing, and deprive you of a global ordering of package precedences.
>>
>> Is this a feature you would like to see in setuptools ? If so I can write
>> a patch,
>>

> Just be aware that I'm likely to be rather picky about how it works.  :)

I bet, I'll give a try and submit it :)

>  Besides this feature, there's one feature we started to add on zc.buildout
>> but could be put in setuptools's PackageIndex as well I believe :
>>

> Having the option to set a short timeout for *connections* would be useful,
> I think, just as long as it doesn't end up cutting off slow downloads.  I'd
> prefer it to be controllable from the command line, nonetheless.

As far as I know, the socket timeout will not apply on a download that is
beeing processed, but only on 'sleeping' connections.
For instance, if I download Firefox with urlopen(), it takes up to 1 second
to read() it and the timeout won't occur in that case :

>>> import socket
>>> socket.setdefaulttimeout(1)
>>> import urllib2
>>> g = urllib2.urlopen('
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0.1/mac/fr/Firefox%203.0.1.dmg
')
>>> g.read()
xxxxxxx I get firefox dmg file here

Although I don't know how it behaves on stale connections, I will digg on
this

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé - Directeur Technique
INGENIWEB (TM) - SAS 50000 Euros - RC B 438 725 632