[Distutils] embedding eggs into .msi (or another installer)

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at goebel-consult.de
Sat Aug 23 18:11:10 CEST 2008

Hi,

coming from Unix, I now want to be helpful to Windows-users and prepare
some installable package for one of my tools
(http://pdfposter.origo.ehtz.ch).

Since py2exe does not work in Unix and not even on wine, I'm currently
stuck with bdist_msi or bdist_wininst. This works fine so far.
Unfortunately pdfposter requires another package (pyPdf) which is
available as win32-installer.

Now the user of pdfposter would need to download and install both
packages, one by one.

I'm looking for a solution for packaging pyPdf into the same
msi/installer as pdfposter and install pyPdf if missing on the target
system.

Any hints? Any recipes?

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult
Spezialist für IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de