[Distutils] Are egg files needed when building/installing via --root?

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Mon Dec 1 09:58:48 CET 2008

Le lundi 01 décembre 2008 à 17:25 +0900, David Cournapeau a écrit :
> pkg-config can't seriously be considered as a solution for python:
>      - it is not cross platform: it does not work on windows for once
> (by working, I mean not only running but being usable to check for
> platform specific frameworks/libraries).

Checking platform-specific stuff is not in the scope of pkg-config.
There are other tools to do that, the most widespread being autoconf,
and they should all be able to work with pkg-config.

>     - Assuming it did work, there would be the problem that when you
> install python, you don't necessarily have pkg-config.

Yes, and just like for many other things, the lack of dependencies is a
serious problem on Windows. Yet it is sad to see other OSes having to
adapt to tools that only exist because of this OS.

> That being said, I agree that something like pkg-config, adapted to
> python needs, is much better than the current python scheme.

If something is missing in pkg-config (which is not trivial, since it is
already very extensible), I’m pretty sure we could get the upstream
developers to integrate the necessary changes.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.