[Distutils] "Stable" versions

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Dec 17 01:44:53 CET 2008

I've received a request that pip be able to be restricted to "stable"
versions.  It was suggested some kind of --alpha-ok or --beta-ok option,
but this seems crude.  I'd rather have it be part of the requirement.
Maybe Package==stable?  But there's also reason to do something like
Package>=2.0,stable.  So while pkg_resources can parse Package==stable
easily enough, it's not by itself really expressive enough (I suppose
Package>=2.0,==stable actually works okay).

Also, there needs to be a definition of what versions are "stable".  And
maybe a distinction between beta/rc and development, though I'm less
worried about that.  Are there definitions of this?  Does zc.buildout do
this?

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org