[Distutils] setuptools 0.6c7 and zc.buildout: find-links egg fragment issue

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Feb 7 21:52:24 CET 2008

FWIW, I find this feature to be baroque. I have very little interest
in supporting it in buildout. (I wouldn't go out of my way to break it
either.) I'd prefer to explore other ways to deal with the underlying
use case in the context of buildout.  I've tried to ignore this issue
broadly, but I'm willing to work on an alternate solution because just
seeing the discussion go by is too painful to keep ignoring.

Jim

On Feb 7, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If I create a buildout that uses subversion links to get some eggs,
> with a
> download cache, like
> this (I can provide a test case):
>
>  [buildout]
>
>  find-links =
>      http://svn.example.com/my.package/trunk#egg=my.package
>      http://svn.example.com/my.package2/trunk#egg=my.package2
>
>  egg =
>      my.package
>      my.package2
>
>  download-cache = /Users/tziade/.buildout/downloads/
>
> It will fail because setuptools will try to extract the egg name
> from the
> url, using
> this code in package_index._download_url:
>
>  name = filter(None,urlparse.urlparse(url)[2].split('/'))
>
> The name will then be "trunk" and the method will fail to work
> properly on
> the next
> download (my.package2) because the "trunk" folder will already be
> there:
>
>  IOError:
>  [Errno 21] Is a directory: '/Users/tziade/.buildout/downloads/trunk'
>

> That's because the function should extract the egg name from the egg
> fragment.
> If I add this code there:
>
>  if '#egg=' in url:
>     name = url.split('#=egg')[-1].strip()
>  else:
>     ... existing code to get the name..
>
> It will work fine, because it will use unique egg names for folders.
> I would like to suggest changing the code this way.
>
> ++
> Tarek
>

> --

Jim Fulton