[Distutils] alternatives to zc.buildout?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Feb 10 20:14:00 CET 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Noah Gift wrote:
> In reference to this rather long discussion.  I would love to get an
> interview or case study on buildout in the scope of package
> management for Python for the book I am co-authoring on Python For
> *nix Systems Administration.  If there is an official ambassador, I
> would love to talk to that person, to make sure I do it justice.
> That particular chapter will cover eggs, virtualenv, and buildout,
> so I pretty excited about it, although is the toughest chapter in
> the book so far.

Cool!

Obviously, you can work with me on this.

One thing to understand about buildout is that it is oriented toward
distributing applications vs easy_install/setuptools with is aimed
more at distributing libraries.

At ZC, we use buildout to create development environments.

We also use buildout to create self-contained source-releases and rpms
for deploying out *applications* to out deployment environments in
ways that facilitate *operation* by experienced Unix system
administrators.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton