[Distutils] buildout: setting envirionment variables for zc.recipe.egg:custom?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Feb 11 19:08:56 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Christian Zagrodnick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> building lxml requires additional configuration so it finds xslt-
> config
> correctly. One possibility is to set the PATH environment variable.
> The
> other is to call setup.py --xslt-config=...
>
> Using setup.py --xslt-config doesn't fit at all into buildout i think.

I don't agree. First, this isn't really so much about buildout as it
is about the eggs recipe.  The zc.recipe.egg:custom already provides
custom build support.  It seems reasonable to extend it to allow
something like this.

> Setting environment variables before installing an egg on the other
> hand might be useful.

Would that help in *this* case?

> Would it make sense to put this into
> zc.recipe.egg or would it be better to create some unrelated recipe
> which only sets envirionment variables?

I suggest updating zc.recipe.egg:custom to accept environment-
variable, assuming that setting environment variables is sufficient.

I think an option to pass setup custom options would be useful as well.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation