[Distutils] setuptools 0.6c8 released

Philip Jenvey pjenvey at underboss.org
Tue Feb 19 05:32:45 CET 2008

On Feb 15, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> This is the last 0.6 candidate release, barring regressions
> introduced by changes in this release.  In one week, if there are no
> regressions, 0.6 final will be released, so please report any bugs
> promptly.
>
> 0.6final will be the last OSAF-funded release of setuptools, as it
> already exceeds the Chandler desktop's current and future
> requirements, at least for the next year.
>
> There remain various known issues and limitations, but these won't be
> fixed in the 0.6 line.

Did you see my last comment on the Jython thread, about eggs created
on Jython? I was hoping you'd comment:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2008-January/008715.html

Also, I just came across an issue while installing simplejson on
Jython, but I noticed it's also been reported on other platforms
(native_libs.txt doesn't exist).

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-December/469174.html

It looks like it's due to the fact that simplejson includes an
optional C speedup extension. It overrides the distutils build_ext
command so it can swallow any compiler errors (and skip building the
extension). I guess it must be faking out setuptools into thinking
there'll be a native_libs.txt when there won't be. I'm going to
investigate it more this week.

I also just noticed there's problems with ez_setup.py on jython on
Windows -- though this might not be setuptools fault -- just FYI,
it's on my radar to investigate that as well before your final release.

--
Philip Jenvey