[Distutils] Putting egg-info under version control

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Feb 24 23:48:55 CET 2008

Hi,

We normally put development eggs under version control while people are
working on them. However, when they are installed (by buildout, in our
case, but I assume "python setup.py develop" is similar), a
<package>.egg-info directory is created.

Putting this under version control seems problematic, because developers
tend to get conflicts in PKG-INFO and similar files. Thus, I tend to set
svn ignores on the whole directory. People have to re-do the develop egg
installation locally anyway.

However, when using Paster with local commands, it writes a
paster_plugins.txt file to the egg-info which doesn't seem to be
re-created when I re-run buildout (again, I assume "python setup.py
develop" would behave in the same way). That means that for Paster local
commands to continue to work, I have to set ignores on almost everything
in the egg-info directory, but not that file, which is cumbersome and
error prone.

Am I missing something here? What's the best strategy for putting
develop eggs under version control? Is this an issue with Paster or with
eggs in general? I'm assuming other things that extend the egg-info
would have similar problems.

Cheers,
Martin