[Distutils] Putting egg-info under version control

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Feb 25 08:47:26 CET 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> That was my impression too. If that's a safe assumption to make, then we
> can continue to say that *.egg-info goes in svn:ignores.
>
> I can't figure out from http://pythonpaste.org/script/developer.html how
> the files are supposed to be created though. Wiping egg-info and
> re-running buildout certainly doesn't re-create it.

paster create normally adds the .egg-info directory, but ignores all the
Setuptools-created files, and some Paste packages (including paster
create) add files in that directory.  I won't say that's a good idea,
and I probably wouldn't go in this direction if starting from scratch...
putting just one or two files under version control, but ignoring the
rest, is quite awkward.  I usually set svn:ignore in the egg-info
directory to *, and then you can still opt-in specific files if you want
to (or I leave egg-info out of version control entirely).

   Ian