[Distutils] Introspection on eggs?

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Wed Feb 27 20:10:44 CET 2008

Andreas Jung wrote:
> I am currently working on a small PyPI replacement for hosting local
> and private eggs:
>
> <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/haufe.eggserver/0.1.2>
>
> I would like to some introspection on uploaded eggs - basically I am
> interested in the long_description and some other metadata without
> having to
> unpack the egg and parse it on my own. Is there some API available
> for performing such a task?

I'm also interested in a response to this, particularly if it is better
than what we already do at Enthought. :-)

We basically unpack the EGG-INFO/PKG-INFO and EGG-INFO/requires.txt from
the egg (you don't need to unpack the whole thing), concatenate those
files into a single file, and then put that file up in our egg
repository to ensure that tools browsing the repo don't have to download
and unpack an egg in order to figure out what the egg is and what its
dependencies are.  Of course, we hadn't been trying to be a PyPi, but
simply a web-accessible directory that stores eggs.

-- Dave