[Distutils] Seeking the Essence of the Concept of an Egg

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Feb 28 16:13:45 CET 2008

I think that the confusion comes from the blurring of eggs and
setuptools.  IMO, when most people use the term "egg", they are really
referring to the packaging system provided by setuptools and
easy_install (and the other applications, like buildout) that build on
setuptools).  IMO, the actual distribution format isn't that
important. Source distributions have advantages over eggs for
distribution in many cases, but what's really important is setuptools.

Jim

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation