[Distutils] easy_install -f confusion

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jan 4 02:44:03 CET 2008

At 06:31 PM 1/3/2008 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Jeff Hammel and myself were going over a problem with -f seemingly being
>ignored in easy_install, and it took us a while to realize that you have
>to do something like "easy_install -f 'url1 url2 ...'", and you can't do
>"easy_install -f url1 -f url2".
>
>It's literally been years that I've been unaware of this, and confused
>by the results.  I think easy_install should give an error if you
>provide multiple -f's (or make it work if you do so).

easy_install inherits this issue from the distutils -- i.e., it uses
distutils argument parsing, which doesn't support this.  It's a bit
of a hack that it supports positional arguments at all.  :(

In some alternate universe in which I have the funding (and therefore
time) to actually work on setuptools 0.7 and "nest", this and many
other issues would certainly be fixable.