[Distutils] zc.buildout : an offline bootstrap.py (was: Re: zc.buildout : more infos on download errors)

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 17:42:40 CET 2008

Done.

I have another problem I would like to express: the boostrap.py file
is not behaving as expected when the buildout is used in offline mode.

If the user is not connected to the internet and does not have setuptools
installed,
bootstrap.py will fail because it will try to import it then to get it
through the web.

The right behavior and order would be :

1. try to see if setuptools and zc.buildout are present in eggs/
2. try to see if they are available in the environment
3. try to easy_install it

That makes a buildout runnable without internet, with just a few elements:

- the prepared eggs folder
- the prepared download-cache folder
- buildout.cfg
- bootstrap.py

We did a small change to be able to have this behavior:
https://ingeniweb.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ingeniweb/IngeniSkel/trunk/ingeniskel/templates/iw_plone_project/buildout/bootstrap.py

And I think this principle could be applied in zc.buildout as well

Regards

Tarek