[Distutils] Craziness in dependency checking of PyXML version

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Tue Jan 15 00:56:31 CET 2008

I'm trying to fix something running under ZSI that broke because of a
needed change in the WS-Addressing schema version.

I ran into a problem that I've had before, where Python can't recognize
that I have a proper version of PyXML installed.

I get the following traceback:

[stan at localhost wsdl]$ wsdl2py -help
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/wsdl2py", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2561, in
<module>
    working_set.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 626, in
require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 524, in
resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req)  # XXX put more info here
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: PyXML>=0.8.3

What I have installed as an rpm is PyXML-0.8.4-6.

I've had this problem before with the PyXML version in another context,
probably trying to install ZSI as an egg in my user lib directory.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks.

Stan Klein