[Distutils] [zc.buildout] repeatable buildouts

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jul 15 23:23:13 CEST 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Chris Withers wrote:

> wow, I'm on a roll tonight ;-)
>
> So:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.0.6#repeatable-buildouts-controlling-eggs-used
>
> I just don't really follow this...
>
> Is the 'versions' name in the [buildout] section meaningful to
> buildout?

The versions option in the buildout section specifies the name of a
section containing version information.

> what are the keys in a version section? just egg versions or
> something else?

project names

> fwiw, most of the time I seem to use an egg recipe or something
> similar to lock specific egg versions. Having the release number in
> the section name seems odd,

That was just an example. buildout doesn't care what the section name
is.

> I'd expect something more like
>
> [buildout]
> versions = versions
>
> [versions]
> spam = 1
> eggs = 2.2

That is a common pattern.

> ...and then just keep the versions stuff correct on different svn
> branches/tags of the buildout.
>
> What am I missing?

Nothing really.  The example assumed you might want to keep multiple
sets of versions in the same buildout.  That isn't a pattern that has
caught on though.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton