[Distutils] [zc.buildout] versions section (doesn't - does - erm? appear to work..)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 16:22:49 CEST 2008

(apologies for half sent mail, emacs save file and thunderbird send
message have the same key mapping :-S)

Okay, so I had a simple buildout config as follows:

[buildout]
parts = eggs
versions = versions

[versions]
setuptools-version = == 0.6c8
zc.buildout-version = == 1.0.6

[eggs]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs = BeautifulSoup == 3.0.7a
interpreter = py
extra-paths = .

Now, from what Jim's said, it would seem like the versions section would
be a good thing to use, so I tried changing the above recipe to:

[buildout]
parts = eggs
versions = versions

[versions]
setuptools = 2
zc.buildout = 2
BeautifulSoup = 4

[eggs]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs = BeautifulSoup
interpreter = py
extra-paths = .

Now, I could have sworn this ran without barfing on the (deliberately)
non-existent versions. However, paranoidly re-checking before (*cough*)
I sent the mail, it seems to work now.

Are there any situations where this would fail?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk