[Distutils] `develop' doesn't appends my package's directory to sys.path

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jul 19 00:27:02 CEST 2008

I would suggest setting DISTUTILS_DEBUG=yes in your environment when
running both, and compare the other environment contents.  My guess
is that you are either running a different Python executable or have
a different HOME -- which might change what setup.cfg is being used,
and thus the target install directory.

Notice in particular that the run for your wrapper script says that
it is already present in easy-install.pth, while the other run does
not.  This suggests that the target installation path is different.

Personally, however, I don't see the point of your script running
"build" or "develop" prior to "test"; running "test" will both do a
build and put the package on sys.path for the duration of the test
run, so the preceding commands are redundant.  Also, if for some
reason you *did* need to run all three in sequence, you could just do
"setup.py build develop test" and save a lot of excess overhead and repetition.